About This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

A White Wash

I dont know for what reason I recalled it, but feel like sharing it here. 

As the story goes, Moses once asked God as to who was the most abominable man on earth of those times, since he wanted to see that who could be such a thankless being to such a bountiful Lord. God gave him the address. Moses went there and found the man's wife. He told her the purpose of his visit; the man's wife agreed that her husband had the every thinkable wickedness of character and vouched that it could only be him who could have been the most abominable man on earth. 
The next day, Moses asked God as to who was the best man on earth of those times. God gave him the address, and to Moses' utter surprise it was the same address that he had been given the previous day. Nonetheless, he went there and found the man's wife again. 
Startled as he was, he asked her if she had noticed any change in her husband's behaviour for such a bizarre change in status overnight! The lady said, 'After you left yesterday I waited for my husband and after he laid down to rest at night, I asked him, " O my master, what do you think is the greatest thing?" he said "elephant". I asked " and what is greater than even an elephant?" and he replied, "a whale". I asked "O my lord! what is bigger than even a whale?" and he said" the mountains, and rivers"; and I said "and what my lord could be bigger than even the mountains and seas?", at this he stopped and said "my vices". I stayed quiet for a while and not knowing how to close the conversation, asked him casually, "is there anything greater than even your vices?", a tear rolled down his cheek and he sobbed "Almighty's mercy!" ". 
Moses returned back. He had got his answer.

Image Courtesy: Painting by Rober John Bosler

3 comments:

msafer said...

What a story

s?dra said...

Beautiful Story. Brought my heart to my knees.

leenah. said...

Love! :)