About This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

Main hosh mein hoon, Abida Parveen




main hosh mein hoon hosh mein hoon, hosh mein hoon... 
I am sane, in my senses, in my wakefulness

deewaana hoon to tera hoon
And to Thou still I belong in my craze

hoon raaz agar to tera hoon 
If an untold secret, to Thou I belong

afsaana hoon to tera hoon, 
If a myth narrated, I belong to Thee


barbaad kiya barbaad huva 
Deserted by Thou, ruined I am

aabad kiya aabaad huva
Blessed by Thou,  salvaged I am

viraana hoon to tera hoon,
If bereft, to Thou I belong

tera kaashaana hoon to tera hoon, 
If endowed, I belong to Thee

(iss teri tajjali ken kurbaan kurbaan-e tajjali har unava) - 
main shamma bhi hoon to tera hoon 
If a beacon I am, to Thou alone I belong

parwaana hoon to tera hoon, 
If a seeker, I belong to Thee

tu mere kaif ki duniya hai - 
From Thou I draw my serenity

tu meri masti ka aalam 
In Thee I find my ecstasy

paimaana hoon to tera hoon -
If a chalice, to Thou I belong

maikhaana hoon to tera hoon,
If a tavern, I belong to Thee

har zarra Zaheen ki hasti ka 
Each speck of Zaheen's humble self

tasveer hai teri sar-taa-pa 
carries an image of Thou all over

woh kaabaa-e-dil dhaanewaale 
Oh Thou who can raze the Kaaba shrine of heart

butkhaana hoon to tera hoon, 
Even if am an idol temple, I belong to Thee

main hosh mein hoon to tera hoon 
deewaana hoon to tera hoon
In my sanity, to Thou I belong, 
in my madness I belong to Thee


(the translation is mine, hence quite humble.)

7 comments:

somshivam said...

I just loved your translation, can u explain what does unva, kaif, tajalli ,kaashaana and sar-ta-pa mean exactly

leenah. said...

Hello Somshivam ... Welcome to this blog :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the translation. As for the words you've asked for, the literal translation is:

Unva - Subject/Topic
Kaif - Serenity/Peace
Tajalli - Splendor
Kashaaana - Abode
sar-ta-pa - Head to toe

I hope it helps. Shall look forward to your visit again :)

Zarrar said...

My God this is amazing. Beautiful translation. Could you please somehow find me the Tina Sani version?

Zarrar said...

Beautiful translation. I am trying to find the Tina Sani version. Could you please help me? Plus who authored this? Regards.

leenah. said...

Thank you for the feed back Zarrar, made my day! :)

I haven't had to chance to listen to Tina's version of it, got to know of it via your comment only now. I'll definitely share when I come across it, inshallah.

The Kalam is Zaheen Shah Taji's, the maestro!


Welcome on blog! :)

Unknown said...

thx for tranlation (Baba Zaheen Shah taji RA Foundation Trust)

neha said...

Thanks for the translation.