About This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2011

To The Parcae



Today I treat you with the beauties I indulged in without a keep...  Lavish exquisiteness!


"To the Parcae" 
by Friedrich Hölderlin

A single summer grant me, great powers, and
a single autumn for fully ripened song
that, sated with the sweetness of my
playing, my heart may more willingly die.
The soul that, living, did not attain its divine
right cannot repose in the nether world.
But once what I am bent on, what is
holy, my poetry, is accomplished:
Be welcome then, stillness of the shadows’ world!
I shall be satisfied though my lyre will not
accompany me down there. Once I
lived like the gods, and more is not needed.


Translated from German by Walter Kaufmann


The charm knows no bounds when this haunting poem has the background sound of this gem from Bob Dylan: Lay Down Your Weary Tune 



PS:
these helped certain rediscovering of self too...
Moirai, it is. Do I claim much? ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Need you claim more?!

leenah. said...

What I need, is never 'more'. It is claimed.