About This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Jogi Utar Paharon Aya




Drained, dead tired, I was searching for something by Abida ji to listen before I hit the pillow. 

Yes, I dont smoke, I dont drink... but I do keep certain indulgences. Abdullah, coffee and Abida... exactly in that order!


Fumbling through youtube, I was sure it would be "bekhudi bay-sabab nahi Ghalib", in Abida's voice that would make the last mark before I lose track of time and space...

But, I stumbled across something else!
A gem! :)






Totally, absolutely, ultimately SO in love with it!


The night suddenly feels beautiful... jogi utar paharon aya..


PS:
Do I also need to mention I feel warmly cuddled in a loving embrace, as I recall amma humming the words ...


PPS:
Apologies for not providing any translation for my non punjabi speaking friends. This is a tappa, and its simplicity is beyond my scope of translation... :)

4 comments:

sabri.maqbool said...

Musarrat Nazir: so gorgeous it hurts! (And she sings pretty well too ;-) Mera laung gawacha - bhai - zarra nazar tho maar!

http://youtu.be/yj-MyVgJOjY

Here is my stab at the lyrics and translations (source) - there are many errors, but I try...

alla hu.
god is.

jogi uttar paharon aaya
yogi came down from the mountains
te charkhe di kook sun ke
on hearing the sound of that spinning wheel

jogi ho, jogi ho...
o fakir, o fakir...

kan vich mundaran, gal vich gaani
jewels on ears, beads round his neck
pinjar-e-nain da mast javaani - vah, vah!
cage-like-eyes' intoxicated youth - hear, hear!
bhais rachaya te charkhe di kook sun ke
makes up his appearance on hearing the sound of that spinning wheel

jogi ho, jogi ho...
o fakir, o fakir...

kaalaa paar jia neem nu takhdiyon
beyond black small tree's sight
(?help!? what did i just write?!?)
vekhna ayaa te charkhe di kook sun ke
came to see on hearing the sound of that spinning wheel

jogi ho, jogi ho...
o fakir, o fakir...

jogi uttar paharon aaya
yogi came down from the mountains
te charkhe di kook sun ke
on hearing the sound of that spinning wheel

jogi ho, jogi ho...
o fakir, o fakir...

There are lots of Charkhas in Punjabi music - my favorite is Chappa Chappa Charkha Challe

http://youtu.be/-FX709hAY6k

because everyone should watch Maachis!

leenah. said...

Spot on! Mussarrat remains the finest epitome of charismatic beauty Pakistani industry has seen!

You took so much pain to translate it, Im actually indebted! And inspired! :)
Wonderful! Savvy!

Thank you for being such a great support! :)

Binjaat said...

Excellent in every way.

Here is my interpretation of text edit where you asked:

Kaala Paar jeha nimm nu takdee nu
Vekhan aaya te charkhe di kook sun ke
(Like a black deer, he came to see me watching the neem tree...)
I think Para is a deer in Urdu/Punjabi in some parts of western punjab).

With respect...

leenah. said...

Thank you so much Binjaat :)

This just made my day!
Welcome at the blog ... Hope to hear from you again, insha Allah! :)