About This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Carve me out into mould of yours O love!



The following qawwali by Ameer Khusro has an almost haunting feel to it, or perhaps the way Shafqat Amanat Ali's vocals have rendered it that 'soze' has added to that magical effect. I am not into Khusro's poetry. At times despite grasping the concept, the idea of lover and beloved as he presents, becomes too knotty for me.

However, I just fell for this one. The yearning, the longing, the desire is so strong, so potent that it hardly leaves any margin for not falling a prey to those gutsy torrents of love showering down upon one's entire being.

Translating it was the closest thing I felt I could do to immerse in those blinding showers of intoxicating pure love. I so wish I could do better with this for this deserves to be treated so.


Mohay apnay hi rung mein rung lay,
Tu to saaheb mera Mehboob-e-Ilaahi;
Mohay apnay hi rung mein……
Humri chundariya, piyaa ki pagariya,
Woh to donon basanti rung day;
Tu to saaheb mera …….
Jo kuch mangay rung ki rungaai,
Mora joban girvi rakhlay;
Tu to saaheb mera…….
Aan pari darbaar tehaaray,
Mori laaj saram sab rakh lay;
Tu to saaheb mera Mehboob-e-Ilaahi,
Mohay apnay hi rung mein rung lay.


Tone me into a glow of thine
Thee my sir, are Allah's beloved
Dye me into a cast of thine
My scarf and the love's turban
Let both be flushed with the tint of spring
Thee my lord, are Allah's beloved
Whatever it may cost infusing the color
Loan it against all this bloom of mine
Thee my knight, are Allah's beloved
(now that) I have rolled in at thine court
Thou I ask to keep my honor and esteem
Thee my man, are Allah's beloved
Adorn me with that value of thine


Lyrics: Ameer Khusro
Inapt translation: mine
Image Courtesy: learningguidenetwork.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carve me into mould of yours.. wow..

What if they're already carved into each other's mould ! Wouldn't it be more passionate and more alive.. a soulmate he should be..

It's all about spontaniety.. it's all about not thinking twice about saying anything when you're with him.. it's all about feeling for each other.. I call it believing in each other..

" I do believe in you ".. such a powerful confession to make.. such a powerful state of being and sharing..

This is how soulmates find each other..tender and strong bonds at the same time..

Enjoy the feeling; as someone once said " we spend our entire lifetime looking for our soulmates ".. one mission of ours on this Earth..

msafer said...

It is true indeed.
Thx for such wonderful piece.
gooday

leenah. said...

IYM my dear, this is SO true .... I could actually feel a pang ;)

You know this verse is of Ameer Khusro, a sufi poet, and a great musician of the subcontinent. This is his expression of love for his spiritual master, Khawaja Nizam Uddin Aulia. Khusro's love and devotion to his teacher has become phenomenal by the love drenched poetry that he has written for him.
(Khusro portrays himself as the female lover).

This is one such piece.

leenah. said...

good day to you msafer :)

Sheetal said...

Shafqat treats it more lightly than the tradtional renditions, doesn't he? Very nice.

leenah. said...

Thanks a lot Sheetal. You are right, Shafqat has handled it quite untraditionaly, yet very tastefully ...