About This Blog

Friday, November 22, 2019

Faith Begets Joy ... That's How The Dynamics Work


A couple of weeks ago I had posted the above image somewhere with the following caption: 


Abu Sa‘id al-Kharraz (d. 899) in his Book of Truthfulness writes: “When a man is truthful in his love (of God), there emerges between him and God, most High, a partnership of surrender … he has trust in the excellent choice of the one whom He loves. He abides in his excellent direction, and tastes the food of existence through Him.” As a consequence, “his heart is filled with joy, bliss, and happiness.” 
When Abu ‘Uthman al-Ḥiri (d. 910) declared, “During the last forty years God has never placed me in a state that I disliked, or transferred me to another state which I resented,” Hujwiri indicated that his words signified “continual satisfaction and perfect love.” It was such an intense experience of love that allowed Rabi‘a, famous for her role in the development of the love tradition to state that the aspirant must find equal joy in both the tribulations and the blessings, because they both have their origin in the Beloved.

Someone who happened to follow the online space, and wasn't a personal acquaintance, recently wrote to me asking clarity over this. 

The person wrote:


I have a question In reference to this post.
How can one achieve the truthfulness, the trust  that you mention. So far all I can manage is forcing myself not to think negatively that is I'll tell myself k though it hurts me it bothers me but He knows the best it's for the ultimate good, that this is taking me to where I am destined to be but I can't shake the feeling that I am faking it because I have read that this is how I should feel. I  can feel that my submission is fake or halfhearted. I used to complaint to Allah before you know tell him k aap ne acha nahi Kia now I can't do that because I know otherwise.

I wrote back to the person.


MashaAllah... do you see that journey you've made? Notice that, and just keep at that.
Being 'aware' of "faking" it is a faithful's ultimate gift. :)
You've been working on a transition of heart, as long as you're not sure of it's perfection, you'll keep working to make it better. Allah, very kindly, promises that HIS standards of evaluation are based on our strengths of niyyah, and not on the wholensomeess of our acts. Do you notice how that puts you in the good quadrant of graph documenting performance of people?

The problem we all actually encounter is, we think of learning/adopting behaviours as a single act that we perform in a single go - like ringing a door bell: press the button and DING DONG.
Nothing is farther from truth.
Learning/adopting behaviours is a continuous process. You're learning a whole new love language. You'll learn the vocabulary, the semantics, the pronunciation, the nuisance of expressions... it's a journey.
And you're at it.
Alhamdulillah.
Congratulate your heart putting in all that effort. :)
And be kind to it please. It's a long walk. 


Putting it up here as a reminder to every heart, including my own, in their dark night of faith. 

No comments: