About This Blog

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hard words. But true.

The young Napoleon was trembling like a reed in the wind during the ferocious bombardments at Toulon. A soldier, seeing him that way, said to his fellow soldiers, "Look at him, he's scared to death."
"Yes, I am," replied Napoleon. "But I go on fighting. If you felt half the fear I feel, you would have fled a long time ago.
"The master says: "Fear is not a sign of cowardice. It is fear that allows us be brave and dignified in the face of life's situations. Someone who experiences fear -- and despite the fear goes on, without allowing it to intimidate him -- is giving proof of valiance. But someone who tackles difficult situations without taking the danger into account, is proving only his irresponsibility."

...............................

People say, "Well, it seems that freedom for man consists of choosing his own brand of slavery. I work eight hours a day, and if I get a promotion, I'll have to work twelve.  I got married, and now I have no time to myself. I looked for God, and now I have to attend cult meetings, masses and other religious ceremonies. Everything that's important in life -- love, work, faith -- winds up becoming a burden that's too heavy to bear.
"The master says: "Only love allows us to escape. Only love turns slavery into freedom."If we cannot love, it is better to stop now." 
Jesus said: 'Better to be blind in one eye than for the entire body to perish in darkness.' 
"Hard words. But true."


- Maktub

4 comments:

msafer said...

Who did you refer to by saying the master??

leenah. said...

Not my words msafer... Its from Paulo Coelho's book 'Maktub'. He usually refers to teacher with this word, as in 'murshid'.

msafer said...

Ahh ok thanks Leenah.
The other thing which language are you using in the next blog?

leenah. said...

Pleasure :)..... its a mix of Persian and Urdu