About This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2011

... Magar Hosh Nahin

As I let the sleep fairy engulf me into her soft embrace, lemme share here something that kept me a real charming company tonight ...

Warning: Its gonna cling to you! People not ready for such cling ons, listen at your own risk. :p


And yes, there are two versions ... the other version can be accessed through the link at the bottom of the post.






PS:

And I've just discovered that this verse was actually performed in a play by the Prithvi Theater. The theatrical version can be found here:


Enjoy! :)

7 comments:

sabri.maqbool said...

At 3:30 they sing (forgive my terrible spelling):
rind jo mujhko samajthe hai unhe hosh nahi; mai kada saaz hun, mai - mai kada pardosh nahi.

I've always wanted to know what that line means?

The same line is also in another qawali I enjoy very much, at the 1 minute 45 second mark.

Thank you so much.

leenah. said...

You are right, this is such a gem of a piece!

As per my meager understanding,

rind jo mujhko samajthe hain unhe hosh nahi;
mai-kada saaz hun main, mai-kada par dosh nahi


Lowly I am to those who lack the sense,
Its my ecstasy thats the chalice, the beer tipples me naught

I guess ...

You are most welcome :)

leenah. said...

There is a relevant blog: http://lightupthedarkness-noor.blogspot.com/2010/12/life-itself-is-worship.html , with thanks to @taimur_org.

sabri.maqbool said...

^ Oh wow! That is amazing. I had never heard of Jigar Moradabadi before today, and now I learn that he's the author of my very first favorite Ghazals: agar na johra jabeeno kai darmiyan guzare/ tho phir yai kaise katte zindagi kahan guzare

I first heard that ghazal when I was around 12 (or 13). It remains one of favorites.

Thank you so much for this. I think I know how I'll be spending the next several evenings!

leenah. said...

Jigar Muradabadi is a treat one should not miss upon at all!
Hope he keeps you some good company :)

sabri.maqbool said...

I found Abida Parveen singing Jiger Muradabadi's Maikadah Saaz Hun Mein! With lyrics. Enjoy!

leenah. said...

sad tashakkur!